Pittwater Golf Club was founded in 1950, with the course location decided upon early in 1951. The Club’s first AGM was held on the 9th of March 1951, with the first competition played on the 6th of June 1951.
The land which Pittwater Golf Club sits upon was generously made available on lease by the Reynolds family, a prominent local farming family.
In 1999, former Club Treasurer Kevin Connor compiled a book entitled ‘Pittwater Golf Club Inc. The first 50 years: 1950 – 2000’, which gives an in-depth account of Pittwater’s first 50 years of existence. The following dot points are a summarisation of major events in the history of the Club:
- April 10, 1950: a group of residents from the Sorell area call a public to form a golf club. Initially called Pawleena Golf Club as the initial location was to be in Pawleena.
- January 5, 1951: after a report from a Mr Thornycroft of the Royal Hobart Botanical Gardens, Pawleena Golf Club is moved to the current property known as ‘Frogmore’ owned by Messrs C.J. & W.J. Reynolds. Renamed Pittwater Golf Club on March 9, 1951.
- June 6, 1951: first club competition held at Pittwater Golf Club, on the original 9 hole layout. Competition fees: 2 shillings.
- April 18, 1953: official opening day for Pittwater Golf Club. A mixed foursome event marks the occasion. From this point, the club grows at a steady pace for some years.
- 1954: first club championships played, the inaugural winner being Mr Athol Hunt. See the honours board page for all major championship winners.
- December 1959: the layout of the course is altered. All holes find their current forms, except for a future relocation of the 8th green.
- February 7, 1967: the Black Tuesday bushfires rip through the Club, with most of the grass and trees on the course burnt off. The old Frogmore residence, a barn and the clubhouse were also casualties. A new clubhouse is subsequently built, later extended and renovated to become its current form.
- March 1, 1971: a new lease to the Club comes into effect, entailing the removal of fences from around greens, and sheep no longer graze the course. Pittwater moves from country track to real golf course.
- July 3, 1993: a new 15th tee is constructed on Orielton Lagoon. Designated Reynolds Point, the hole becomes Pittwater’s signature. It is known as one of the hardest tee shots in Southern Tasmania, owing to the usually breezy and blustery conditions on this side of the course. The first tee shot was fittingly conucted by Mr Bill Reynolds: the designer, architect, engineer and builder of the new tee.